How can anyone be brave enough to claim that the Bible is truly the Word of God and that the only true religion is Christianity? There are many reasons that can be brought up to justify this claim. I am one of the people that are in support of this claim and for that reason I will attempt to justify my point of view. I must indicate that my inspiration comes from Ravi Zacharias teaching on the subject of “The Existence of God”.
Bill Wiese from Soul Choice Ministries in one of his sermons attempts to justify why the Bible is the Word of God. Bill cites the multiple writers, the multiple supporting documents and the time it has been in existence. The inspiration from Ravi’s teaching opened my mind to the fact that the Bible explains everything we see around us so perfectly. Many of such things are a bit complex for the human mind to comprehend yet the Bible defines them just as they are.
Let’s take nature as an example of things that the Bible explains in several ways. For example, in Romans 8:22 the Bible declares that nature itself groans together in labor pains until now. The question then becomes, ‘how does nature groan?’ The human mind cannot comprehend this yet just as it is recorded, it is true.
We may argue with the explanations given for something else, but I am certain that we can reach a common ground when talking about the nature of humans as defined by the Bible. I will pick a few verses that define the nature of humans. I’m sure you would agree that the Bible is on point when it says the following about people:
- Jeremiah 17:9, ‘The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
- 1 Corinthians 2:14, ‘The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.’
- Genesis 6:5, ‘The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually’
- 1 Corinthians 1:18, ‘For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.’
Jesus Christ defining humans
Jesus Christ is the author of Christianity. He also defines humans perfectly. I’m not sure about other religions, but I doubt if they even compare to the explanation Jesus Christ gives on humans. I picked just three verses from the words of Jesus:
- Matthew 15:19, ‘For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. ESV
- Luke 6:33, ‘And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.’ People have a nature of limiting their goodness to people that matter to them only.
- Matthew 16:23, ‘But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” It is easy for humans to focus on what they see and that which will benefit the earthly life than that which is of God. For example, many pastors today are a witness to the difficulty of accepting God’s call to full time ministry.
I am sure you agree with me to the fact that all the verses referenced above perfectly define human nature. This brings me to this question, ‘Why is it that people don’t want to believe what the same Bible defines or teaches about the devil, hell, demons, Heaven and the conditions of eternity?’ The Bible cannot lie in one thing but tell the truth in another. It is the same Holy Bible that tells of the love of God as well as His anger.
Just for this one more reason for the Bible having defined us humans so perfectly, I implore you to gain confidence in what the entire Bible teaches. It is sad to know that some Christians don’t believe some portions of the Bible. These include talks on tithes, giving, worldliness and hell. I encourage you to keep searching for the truth, yet it is safe to do so while you are in favor of what the Bible teaches.