It is often said that experience is the best teacher, I believe that this statement has a lot of truth in it. In this article I will be talking a lot about my experiences as a Christian that has always wanted to live a holy life before God, so don’t be surprised by the lots and lots of ‘I’ in the following paragraphs.
Experience in Christian circles
Its always easy to name sins you see being committed by others, which Jesus calls ‘hypocrisy‘. Funny enough, other people could be seeing some wrong you do as well. In the same way, its easy for Pastors and bloggers like me to see a bunch of sinners from every side we turn because we think we are the mouth piece of God or because we have the platform. This does not help at all.
I can tell you right now without a doubt that so many testimonies out there are pointing at people that either commit or omit doing something God expects, and count it as sin for those people. I know testimonies that tell people that hating someone is tantamount to murder, coming late for work is theft, etc. yet they themselves are culprits of the same. All these testimonies are not a lie and the message they bring is real and should be taken seriously. But in real truth, no matter how careful one can be, there is no way to avoid all the sins there are to avoid yet it does not mean that people are free to sin.
Recommended lifestyle to fight sin
What then is the solution? The problem begins when people sin purposely or knowingly. Some could sin purposely because they don’t care about doing wrong yet others will sin knowing they will repent afterwards. All this is sin before God.
Let me share with you what helps me keep going in the pursuit of holiness.
- I attend church and related services at all cost to align myself with the laws I may have not been taught of or those I have forgotten.
- I read the Bible to learnt the mind of God. As an example, I learnt that God is not happy about people that complain. This I learnt from the book of Numbers 11: 1 – 3.
- I take interest in testimonies. So many testimonies on heaven and hell have influenced the way I do things and my belief on who God and Jesus is in my life. I get these from the internet.
- I pray and be sensitive to the conscious. Lately I have been taught about the importance of fasting.
- I discuss issues that I’m clear about with friends, family and bothers/sisters in the Lord.
- Talk about the sin that you see but not directing it to anyone. It helps you create a barrier to it. Those you spoke to about it will not expect you to fall into it and you will be aware not to commit it.
Somehow I have managed to combine these activities randomly and found myself at peace with my God. I listed these without necessarily going into their specifics. All I know it works, I don’t know how but it does work. If you have never done it, your are missing something. Try doing it at your pace and you will see the difference. Zac Poneen is a witness to this in his video.
My very last advise is this, ‘If you feel or hear someone tell you what you are doing is wrong, Get guidance from God in prayer. God’s is faithful to guide you on whatever it is you are not sure about’. It may take a while to get an answer but I strongly believe you will get an answer if you are diligent. He appears to those that diligently seek Him.
Try Him for yourself and you will get the precise direction.