How many times has the Lord spoken to us and we turned a deaf ear? I know that if you are honest in your response you probably would say, ‘many times’. The book of Job confirms this in chapter 33:14 where it reads, “For God does speak–now one way, now another– though no one perceives it” (NIV). Someone that wants to play the blame game may ask questions like, ‘When did God say something and we did not listen?” In other words, some people think that God does not speak to them as He does with others that claim to have heard from Him.
Allow me to openly outline methods by which God speaks to us and we tend not to understand that it is He that is speaking. Human beings are naturally spiritual and therefore want something to keep the spiritual part satisfied. I want to declare today to you that that spiritual part is the God’s part that is largely abused by the devil with false and unsatisfying spiritual things. The God spot in the human spirit can only be satisfied by Him. Psalm 16:11 says, ‘You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore’ (ESV).
Below I list a number of ways by which God speaks to us today:
- The conscious. It is put by God in every individual to give personal guidance to every living individual. That is why you hear people say things like, ‘I felt like what I was about to do was not good’ even when others feel like it wouldn’t have been an issue doing it. The conscious works one-on-one and its message is final. Once your conscious condemns you on something, know that it is God telling you and not necessarily your conscious.
- The Word of God, which is the Holy Bible. The word of God is shared in all forms of communication that there are in the world today. Whoever claims not to have heard from the Word of God is telling a lie. The Word is on the internet, radio, television, newspapers, magazines, notice boards, books, etc.
To those that question the Holy Bible and its content, I suggestion they test the divinity of the Holy Bible through their conscious. I suggest they consider their conscious convictions on anything and then test it through insights sourced from the Holy Bible. It will not be difficult to soon realise that the Holy Bible does not contradict with what the conscious says. You can try this method of testing even with other religious books such as the Quran.
- God speaks to people through dreams and visions. Job 33:15 says, “He speaks in dreams, in visions of the night, when deep sleep falls on people as they lie in their beds” (NLT). This is one controversial way by which God speaks. He committed that in the last days He will use this method (Acts 2:17). Unfortunately, many false teachings have been founded on dreams and revelations that are not of God. This implies that all dreams and visions shared in any way should be tested through the Holy Bible. If the Holy Bible confirms to what the message of the dreams and visions say, then it is the message of God. Another method of testing dreams and visions to know if they are of God or of the devil is to call the name of Jesus upon them. A vision that will not fall off at the mansion of the name of Jesus proves to be of God.
There are many sources of dreams and visions, particularly those documented in forms of books, sermons and audio files. Many of them contradict with each other yet the best of all is one that is in line with what the Holy Bible says. I have heard so many of them online and I can tell you that there are those that come from the devil which people promote without being careful to test them. A typical example of devil given vision is in the website http://www.cwg.org/. I give elaborate discussion on this ‘Conversations with God’ revelation in the post ‘The Devil or Satan is Real!’
- God speaks through other people. People are most often God’s messengers sometimes without knowing it. Have you ever got an advice that suited your soul such that you do not have to question it? When people give their testimonies whether in church or elsewhere, it is one way of letting God speak through the lives of others on how wonderful He is to mankind.
- God sends His angels to guide us sometimes. This is one method by which God speaks with actions. Some guidance can be confusing to the human mind but when it is the Lord’s doing, His will always prevails. I have heard of testimonies where people report to have felt a physical touch at the right time to save them from danger. Some angels manifest in the physical form, that is, as humans but for the man who get the message often does not realise it but come to think and know about it later, if at all.
I appreciate that with some people it might happen that all that I have covered in this article could be meaningless. It could also happen that their known method of how God speaks in not covered. In any case, I do encourage people to talk to God freely as they would with a friend in the physical world. I suggest you ask Him to talk to you in a way that will let you get convinced that it is Him speaking to you. God is faithful and just to grant you your request as appropriate and accurate.
At the end of the day, God speaks and He speaks in a way that you will understand and not doubt it. To me He speaks with a combination of all the five but I make sure to test each and every message by using the name of Jesus Christ.
The message I have for you today is that, ‘WHEN GOD SPEAKS AND YOU KNOW THAT IT IS HE THAT HAS SPOKEN, OR YOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE THE MESSAGE, YOUR RESISTANCE TO HIS WORD MAKES HIM VERY UNHAPPY’. I encourage you to do what He says and do not be glued to things of this world. What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loose his soul? (Mark 8:36).
He has spoken directly with us to observe the following things that I pick just as examples:
- Do not love the world and the things of this world. All this means is that do not love your possessions more than Him.
- Do not murder, commit adultery, steal or lie.
- Love the Lord God with all your mind, body and soul.
- You shall not worship other gods but He alone.
- Correct one another in the Lord for if you don’t, your brother’s blood will be on your hands.
- God hates divorce. In other words, do your best to avoid it.
- Keep the Sabbath holy.
- Do not fear one who can only kill the body but fear Him that has power to destroy both body and soul in hell.
- Train up a child in a way that shall be his own.
- Seek yee first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all the other things will be added unto you.
- Love one another.
Add your own to keep the list growing.