Spiritual growth is applicable to believers. Growth entails knowing the Lord Jesus Christ progressively better. This process starts after accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as your saviour. Growth is a characteristic of life; all living things grow.
Spiritual growth is therefore expected from every believer because no believer reaches a point of no growth while living in this world. There are many things that a believer can do to enhance his or her spiritual growth, out of which six will be highlighted.
- Get assured of being a new creation through accepting the Lord Jesus Christ – to identify with spiritual growth you must first be born again because it is not possible for a non-believer to grow spiritually. The moment you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour, you become a new creating and gain entry into spiritual person (2 Corinthians 5:17).
- Abandon / shun all sin – Romans 6:1 -2, exhorts people to abandon all types of sin. It is not possible to grow spiritually if you still engage in some ungodly practices. For example, if you have been a drunkard, fornicator, thief or liar, you have to stop.
- Communicate with Jesus Christ through prayer – Ephesians 4:6 – 8 and 1 Thessalonians 5:17 emphasize the need to pray. It is encouraged for brethren to have prayer partners yet having a prayer partner should not be a reason for not praying alone. A believer should have a special prayer time. Prayer serves as a shield for the believer.
- Read the Holy Bible at all times – the more you read your Holy Bible, the more you change. The Holy Bible is a mirror on which your life should reflect. Let the Holy Bible talk to you.
- Tell others about Jesus Christ – Spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ helps you grow.
- Belong to a certain denomination – this makes you have a spiritual home and the pastor your spiritual leader.
The six highlighted points are good practices that lead to enjoying life as a Christian. Abandon these at your peril and you may be a victim to the enemy.